There is always room for improvement – Right? I’ve never been happy with the base I made for my John Deer sculpture. Recently I have been learning how to turn wood on a lathe so I turned a base out of Maple for the piece. I think it came out well. At first I used gloss varnish and the wood looked beautiful. But I felt that it was too distracting so I used a flat varnish. I would appreciate any comments you have and you can respond to my email or on my Instagram account.
So after assembly and trial installation Cowboy is finished. I feel good that the sculpture resembles the image that is in my mind. It has been almost 3 years. From tip of horn to tip of horn it’s almost 6 feet across.
Just finished a new sculpture called “Mesa”. The overall size is 24 inches wide, 22 inches long, and 12 inches deep. This is another work created for my ongoing series of western images. This particular skull and scorpion focus on the southwest.
The scorpion was created by making a wooden armature and then adding layers polymer clay over the wood. The bison skull is made of cedar wood and the backboard is wood with polymer layers and sand. All the objects are painted with acrylic paint.
The time it took to create “Mesa” was much shorter than the previous pieces, about three months. Now that I am more confident with my techniques and materials I hope to be able to generate more work in a timely fashion.
I have three more works in various states of completion. The next sculpture that should be finished soon will be “Medicine Box”.
The dust has finally settled at my new home in Washington and I’ve completed “Fall” my latest wood sculpture. This piece took me several years to complete due to working full time and packing up and moving. The sculpture measures 43 inches wide by 29 inches high and has a considerable amount of detail.
The detailing of the antlers was made to look like tree branches. Here I employed a new technique using an epoxy gel applied directly to the wood and then sanding and refining the veining. Each leave was hand carved. The leaves have veins carved into them before painting.
The backboard to the skull is made Camphor wood which was lacquered to a high gloss. I love this particular wood because of it’s wonderful grain. My next post will show more experimentation and some new directions.
Before adding antlers to my new deer skull I decided to use it for a photography composition which I will later make a graphite drawing from. My new home in Washington state has some wonderful woods surrounding it and I wandered around and found some things to add to my photo composition.
My new work will be created for a future gallery show I hope to have somewhere in Seattle. The show will consist of my sculptures and graphite drawings based on my photography. I need to pick up some steam so that I have plenty of work to approach a gallery with.
I don’t normally do political but I felt the time was ripe. This is just a straight pencil drawing on Canson hot press weave.
Another graphite drawing with wash, taken form a photograph, that I created during my drawing class.